Re: spec development process was: vendor prefixing

I agree that CR state is a relatively unhelpful construct at this point.
I'm fairly confident at least that Gecko, WebKit and Opera do not wait for
a spec to enter CR state to implement it. It's less clear to me what
Microsoft's position is.

Of course testing is important. I would support requiring a test suite in
order to consider a feature stable. This gives vendors an incentive to
contribute test suites so that a specific feature can be unprefixed. Also,
it makes adding tests less daunting since you only need to worry one
feature at a time.

In my experience working on WebKit, I'm fairly confident that a feature
cannot be considered stable without *at least* one vendor implementing it
and that vendor will necessarily write tests as they implement that can be
contributed back.

In retrospect it wasn't at all accurate to say that the versioned spec
would go to CR. Once a "released" spec is versioned and finalized, it's
never modified again. It will be superseded by the next version of the spec
4 months later.

Ojan