Re: Public releases prefixes off-by-default (was RE: Unprefixing CSS properties)

On Nov 17, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

[moved Brian's quote down, to make it easier to respond to in a readable way]

I am also warming up to the idea of a '-draft-' prefix that could be overridden by UA-specific prefixes, such as '-webkit-'. Most of the time, a newer version of a draft would not change meaning without changing syntax too, but if it did (as degrees did in linear-gradient), then the WG could elect to reccomend a '-draft2-' prefix for the item in question. This wouldn't help that much with existing properties and values, since authors would still need to include prefixes for older versions of browsers, but I think it is worth reconsidering when moving forward. When the draft reached CR, authors could then have an unbuggy clean version to work with unprefixed.

This idea suits me better than only having experimental version available in beta versions, where implementation experience and author experience becomes much more limited.