RE: Unprefixing CSS properties

We've been here before.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Aug/0473.html

-Brian

From: ojan@google.com [mailto:ojan@google.com] On Behalf Of Ojan Vafai
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:27 PM
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Brian Manthos; Henri Sivonen; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Unprefixing CSS properties

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org<mailto:robert@ocallahan.org>> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com<mailto:brianman@microsoft.com>> wrote:
IMO, that's an argument for saying there is a more advanced stage than WD that includes "grammar is stable, only edge cases of behavior remain".  Is that stage CR?  If yes, then the current system supports your suggestion.  If that stage is not CR, perhaps something in between WD and CR should be considered -- and should be considered "unprefixable".

My proposal is essentially the latter: an "unprefixable" stage between WD and CR, which can be applied to individual properties in a spec, plus a proposal to move a particular set of properties to that stage immediately. Please reconsider it in that light :-).

I support adding a way to mark specific properties or parts of CSS specs as stable (and thus unprefixable). The whatwg HTML spec does this. It makes sense to me to do this across all W3C specs. Once all the parts of the spec are marked stable, then the draft can effectively go to CR.

I would like the annotations to be in the spec itself if possible.