Re: Composite pseudo classes

I'm here :)

Alias solves a lot of the cases, and would be a big improvement, but there
are some cases that require a bit of scripting to get right. Ideally, it
would be possible to replace all of the non-positional selectors in jQuery
with whatever new API we came up with. A combination of aliases, which
could be implemented efficiently, and a safety-valve API for more complex
selectors (which, let's say, could only be used in
querySelectorAll/find/findAll because of performance considerations
in pathological cases) would be great.

-- Yehuda

On Thursday, November 10, 2011, Brian Kardell wrote:

> In the context discussed, I also proposed that these aliases be usable via
> querySelectorAll...  I think this would allow libraries like sizzle/jquery
> to simplify even more... I'm not sure whether John or Yehuda or anyone
> involved with jquery follow this list, perhaps we should cross post a
> proposal.
> On Nov 9, 2011 12:26 PM, "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'bkardell@gmail.com');>>
> wrote:
>
>> It wouldn't be a full one to one swap if you had a preprocessor now
>> though because preprocessing would expand the selectors and the two would
>> differ in specificity score.
>> On Nov 9, 2011 12:08 PM, "Charles Pritchard" <chuck@jumis.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'chuck@jumis.com');>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for hocus, pocus.
>>>
>>> Things get awfully verbose once you're working with pseudo-selectors.
>>>
>>> While trying (and failing) to tweak the <audio>/<video> controls in
>>> webkit to be larger, I was pretty
>>> overwhelmed with selector duplication.
>>>
>>> audio::-webkit-media-controls-**timeline-container,
>>> video::-webkit-media-controls-**timeline-container

--
Yehuda Katz
(ph) 718.877.1325