Re: [css3-images] aliases for 'cover' and 'contain'

On Nov 4, 2011, at 1:29 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> Hm. So I'd suggest dropping cover/contain, and adding them back when we
>> have asymmetrical radials. Then
>>
>> radial-gradient(from 25px 25px to cover, blue, transparent)
>>
>> could represent a centered ellipse that covers the box and has a gradient
>> focus at 25px 25px.
>
> I'm cool with that.  Then 'cover' and 'contain' will have somewhat
> simpler and more useful meanings in Images 4.

I don't understand. Wouldn't the meanings be the same in both cases? It seems confusing for it to on,y have meaning in the context of asymmetrical radials. Also, 'cover' and 'contain' are the two most popular ways of writing the <size>, and easier than remembering whether it is near or far sides or corners you want.