Re: A Call for ::nth-everything

On 11/2/11 12:01 AM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> Sure, authors risk slowness when using CSS.

And UAs risk slowness and resulting user flight when implementing CSS
features that are slow-by-design.  This isn't a theoretical problem, and
it's incentive for UAs to not implement such features....

> Oh, I need to catch up on that reading to see what areas were
> purposefully broken or unimplemented.

     div::first-letter { color: green; }

does not work in Gecko, for example.  Nor in WebKit, for that matter.
Presto gets this right.

> Would using content replacement techniques help with the situation?

Help the above?  I doubt it.

> ::first-letter { display: none; } /* incomplete */
> ::first-letter:before { content "A"; }

Implementing _that_ seems strictly harder than just implementing
::first-letter, no?

>> The CSS 2.1 one, or the CSS3 one? No one implements the latter, and
>> implementations of the former are somewhat buggy and inconsistent....
>
> At this point, CSS is a lot like HTML -- a living standard.

That doesn't answer my question.

> Large swaths of the spec are not implemented

And never will be, if you include all past working drafts in "the spec".

HTML doesn't have this problem; stuff that's obviously not planned to be
implemented either goes away or is clearly marked so.

> I suppose the spec is quite a bit more amazing than the reality of
> implementations.

If by "the spec" you mean "whatever someone felt like writing down in a
working draft", then pretty much by definition yes.  ;)

> Still, the implementations with the spec provide for some precedent I
> believe I can build on.

Not sure what you mean.

-Boris