Re: proposed new module: css3 floats and positioning

On 24/05/2011 1:47 AM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> ± From: Alan Gresley [mailto:alan@css-class.com] ± Sent: Sunday, May
> 22, 2011 8:57 PM ± ± Let me rephrase that. Does the spec mention what
> side of the viewport ± a scrolling mechanism must appear on when the
> overflow is visible ± (clipped out content)? ±
>
> There is no consensus so far on where scrollbars should appear (and
> btw they don't have to appear at all on touch devices). This may
> remain undefined for some time.

I'm not talking about where a UA places a scrollbar. I talking about the
direction of overflow. I will use the example that I used in a thread
about canvas origin [1]. The CSS 2.1 spec does not define the direction
of visible overflow (obviously there are many years of interoperability
when it come to LTR).

For LTR we have this.

    hidden  |        hidden-y

-----------X----------------------|-------------
            |                      |
   hidden-x |  visible / viewport  | overflow-x
            |                      |
            |----------------------|-------------
            |                      |
            |      overflow-y      |  overflow
            |                      |

For RTL we have this.

                       hidden-y       |  hidden

--------------|----------------------X----------
               |                      |
   overflow-x  |  visible / viewport  | hidden-x
    overflow   |      overflow-y      |

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Apr/0253.html

--
Alan Gresley