Re: [css-image] gradients, animations and photosensitive epilepsy

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I do believe that the gradient that is seen on this page should never be
> allow to work.
>
> http://css-class.com/test/css/3/gradients/repeating-radial-gradients-danger.htm
>

> Even for an author who may have worked with some gradients, the results of
> using such small distances between color stops could cause someone with
> photosensitive epilepsy [1] to have a seizure without warning. I myself find
> it hard to scroll this gradient.
>
> I do suggest that the CSS WG get feedback from several people who are
> qualified in the field of photosensitive epilepsy regarding certain
> gradients and animations.
>
> I myself have always been careful in the use of color with my test and
> demos. I do avoid using large segments of red, yellow or fuchsia as
> background colors. This is since my wife has a form of photosensitive
> epilepsy. I will be changing some of my own animations (increasing
> transparency). One has already been changed.

Luckily, that's an extremely ugly gradient that should never see the
light of day in a real website.

More importantly, the fact that the gradient is produced with a CSS
function is irrelevant; it could just as easily have been produced as
a normal image.  While we shouldn't make it *easy* to do bad visual
effects if there's no good reason, there's no way to actually prevent
bad design here.

~TJ