Re: [css3-images] Changing the angles in gradients

On May 18, 2011, at 11:20 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There is no real problem.  All current implementations are
>>> experimental by definition.  If pages break, they should be
>>> maintained.  Keeping people aware that prefixed stuff may break is a
>>> good thing.  ^_^
>>
>> Maintained how? I don't mind maintaining the CSS in my site when there are changes to the experimental properties and values. But the only thing I can do once this change is made in a UA is to remove all instances of linear-gradient from my site for that UA, and then wait a year or more for the people who use the older version to drop to inconsequential numbers.
>
> That's why, as I mentioned later in the email you're quoting, browsers
> are free to keep their current prefixed impls stable and only make the
> switch when they drop the prefix.  I believe Firefox has this as a
> general policy, for example, which is why they still use an older
> gradient syntax that allowed an explicit starting position for linear
> gradients.

So you are anticipating Chrome and Firefox wouldnt change until the prefix is dropped, that I would write my stylesheets with a list of prefixed versions followed by an unprefixed version having a different value? Because that's more intuitive and will lead to fewer author mistakes? Really?

And if Safari changes right away, while Chrome waits until CR, then which value do I use for my Webkit prefixed version.

One of the reasons for having experimental properties and values is to gain author experience in the wild. This will have an opposite effect.