Re: [css3-regions] more feedback

One clarification below.

On 5/16/11 12:17 PM, "Vincent Hardy" <vhardy@adobe.com> wrote:

>(resending because of formatting error on previous send).
>
>On May 12, 2011, at 5:24 AM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>
>> The regions draft is getting very solid, impressive!
>
>:-)
>>
>> Here is some more feedback on the spec
>>
>> * Issue 1: could inline elements be regions?
>>
>> I think not. But the fact that you are asking this question tells me
>>that you may be thinking of region's ability to redirect content
>>separately from its ability to paginate.
>
>Yes, exactly. I think the ability to direct a flow to a container
>element, whatever its type may be (inline or block), is a generic
>mechanism that is independent of layout or pagination in the processing
>order. What I mean is that it acts on the set of elements that would
>generate boxes for a container to visually format, and that is really
>just acting on the 'box generator source', so to speak. It does not
>change the process of laying out boxes per-say.
>
>> It is an interesting line of thought, and it creates interesting
>>templating possibilities. I thought about it too... but I couldn't come
>>up with any strong use cases where non-paginating regions would enable
>>something that is not possible otherwise. Do you have any?
>
>No, but I think that the model might be more generic if we allowed the
>flow/content on all elements.

I was focusing on the applicability of 'content: from()' to inline
elements when I wrote this but did not mean to say no to having use cases
for regions separate from paginated content (thanks Alan for pointing out
that my response was unclear).

For example, you might want to have multiple columns of various widths at
the top of the document and then have the rest flow in a single div.

Also, you could imaging having pull-out quotes throughout the document
(even though this might require additional features, like the ability to
have regions only take one item [here, a quote], from the flow at a time).

Vincent.