Re: [css3-text] Comments on hyphenation

On 16 May 2011, at 15:52, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 16 May 2011, at 13:56, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> I'm not too excited about implementing hyphenate-resource. It seems unlikely to me that a significant number of Web developers will bother developing and deploying their own hyphenation dictionaries.
>
> Right; especially given the lack of a clear standard for the format of such resources.

One further note: I do think it would be useful to implement a CSS mechanism to declare hyphenation *exceptions* for a language, in some simple form such as (for example),

  @hyphenation {
    lang: "en-US";
    hyphens: "foo-bar foo-baz hy-phen-ate unhyphenatable";
  }

The expectation would be that for any word listed in the @hyphenation rule(s) for the element's language, the hyphenation points indicated there (if any) would be used instead of any computed by the browser's "hyphens:auto" algorithms/resources.

This would allow authors to "fix" potential bad hyphenations, or provide additional hyphenation positions for unusual or ambiguous words where the browser's algorithm may be expected to be inadequate.

JK