Re: Feedback on regions document

Hyatt wrote:
>> (2) My second major issue with the document is that I don't believe we
>> should ever allow regions to be explicit DOM elements.  I think regions
>> should always be created anonymously.

Alex replied:
> My position on this is the opposite. I think regions should be elements,
> most of the time if not always.
>
> When I think of a magazine page, I think of design first. It has rich
> graphics (perhaps SVG, images or video), multiple small chunks of text
> (headlines, teasers, ads), and a few containers (linked of course)
> showing longer stories (400 words may already be "long" there).
>
> Trying to decide what is content and what is presentation in that world
> is difficult, often subjective and IMO pointless. All that coolness
> needs to be described in some kind of language, why not HTML+CSS? It has
> the power.

Say I write an article about cats, and it gets picked up by an online
magazine read by cat lovers. Some other publisher comes along and wants
to publish my article in an anthology of the decade's best cat articles.
I also want to republish the article on my own website.

The online magazine's website uses CSS Regions to create a rich reading
experience that resembles their (long-since defunct) print counterpart.
The anthology gets published as an EPUB in which my article is but one
of many content documents. My website runs WordPress and has a farily
standard blog layout that I copied from some other site I came across.

In all three cases, the HTML of my article shouldn't have to change.
This is why we shouldn't allow regions to be explicit DOM elements.

Ted