Re: [Selectors4] Semantic Pseudo Elements

On 5/11/2011 10:41 AM, Christoph Päper wrote:
> You effectively say to put the burden on markup language creators to
> design a mapping to element names in a document tree which Selectors,
> type selectors specifically, can work on. That is unrealistic. It is
> not as unrealistic, though, that there is a quite limited set of
> semantic or stylistic keywords that pretty much every plain text
> markup language could easily be mapped to.

Are any such markup language creators trying to solve this problem or is
this problem entirely theoretical?

You've cited BBCode, Markdown, Textile, and the wiki markup language.
What have the authors of those languages had to say on the issue?

Can any of those languages be used independently of HTML (with their own
file extensions and MIME types) or are they all shorthand syntaxes meant
to be converted to HTML (where this supposed problem doesn't exist)? Or
are you proposing that it should be possible to bypass HTML in an HTML
document by allowing markup like the two examples shown below to be
essentially equivalent via CSS?

Example 1:

Example 2:

On the issue of email, how exactly do I attach a style sheet to a plain
text email? Why is the current situation where email clients, such as
Mozilla Thunderbird, automatically underline _text like this_ (despite
there being no relevant CSS specification) not good enough?

-- Patrick Garies