Re: [css3-speech] voice-volume

> On 11 May 2011, at 04:23, fantasai wrote:
>> I think 'linear' is somewhat misleading, since the normal
>> 0-100 scale /could/ be linear. (I think 'absolute' would be a better
>> keyword
>> because 'absolute 0' is absolutely silent, but I'm open to suggestions.)
>
> The 'relative' keyword is used somewhere else, with a totally different
> meaning (e.g. the syntax "+5" can denote an absolute value, but it may
> also express a relative change based on another; usually-inherited; value).
>
> I can't think of anything better than "linear".
> "force-linear" maybe? (although it feels far too verbose, I'd rather use
> a single keyword)

I'd prefer "absolute" instead of "linear" because the subject is sound
volume level. Volume is usually referred by dB and the dB scale is not
linear but logarithmic. I'd expect "linear" to represent the power and
as such, I'd need to double the number to get a few dB increase in
volume level.

I'd prefer one of the following over "linear":

- absolute
- direct
- override
- uncorrected