Re: [css3-animations] Times are listed as unitless

On May 6, 2011, at 16:08 , L. David Baron wrote:

> On Friday 2011-05-06 10:26 -0700, David Singer wrote:
>> Are we sure that there are no
>> parsing-depends-on-units-implying-type places in CSS?
>
> In addition to the gradients issue already pointed out, there's also
> the 'animation' shorthand property, where in addition to an ordering
> rule for animation-duration vs. animation-duration, there needs to
> be a way of determining whether a '0' is for one of those properties
> or is for animation-iteration-count.
>
> (I'm also not saying that there aren't others.)

Thanks.  One is plenty;  it destroys any confidence that the number of cases is and always will be zero.  This makes general unitless zeroes dangerous and complicates parsing to no useful effect.

We might as well way "when a length is required and the desired length is 0, and there is no ambiguity that the 0 represents a length, it is permissible but not recommended to omit the units; it is safer always to use them, e.g. 0cm" and try to deprecate unitless values.

David Singer