Re: [CSSOM] CaretPosition

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/06/2011 09:45 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>
>> I agree. It would be great if the next iteration of DOM Ranges could spec
>> Ranges as having a startPosition/endPosition that were CaretPositions.
>> This
>> is how WebKit's implementation works under the hood and it's much better
>> than dealing with node/offset pairs all the time.
>>

> I'm very reluctant to add new features that just duplicate existing
> functionality. Is range.startPosition.offsetNode really so much better than
> range.startContainer to make it worth the specification, implementation, and
> testing time that would need to be spent on it?
>
> This might have been a good idea when ranges were first implemented, but I
> don't see a use case that would warrant adding it now.

I'd like to add methods to CaretPosition that let you operate on each end of
the selection, e.g. a way to move up/down the DOM in visibly equivalent
being able to move the position up/down is a fairly frequent need). You can
certainly write code that does this now in JS, but it ends up being bulky
and error-prone.

In either case, that's a whole separate discussion. Olli's proposal makes
sense in the absence of other future-looking ideas.

Ojan