Re: [css3-text] Resource At-Rule vs. Property, Syllabic vs. Morphemic Hyphenation

On 03/30/2011 09:41 AM, Christoph Päper wrote:
> The examples for ‘hyphenate-resource’ as a at-rule or as a property currently are (shortened):
>
>    @hyphenate-resource {
>      en:    url(en-GB.hy);
>      en-US: url(en-US.hy);
>    }
>
>    :lang(dk) {
>      hyphenate-resource: url("hyph_da_DK.dic"), url("hyph_da_NO.dic")
>    }
>
> Could we combine those?

Your examples are very scary. :)

IMHO, combining 'hyphenate-resource' and '@hyphenate-resource' à la
'font-family' and @font-face is too complex. Why do you think we need
this?

Typically, there is only one hyphenation dictionary per document.
In the relatively unusual case of a multilingual document, you will
have one per language. Anything more than that is really getting
esoteric.

>    @hyphenate-resource en /* _only_ BCP47 strings valid here? */ {

en-US etc. *are* BCP47 strings. I don't understand what you're getting
at with that comment.

> I also wonder whether authors would like to switch between /syllabic/ and /morphemic/,
> maybe also /graphemic/ for some scripts, hyphenation, since some orthographies,
> e.g. German, allow both or used to do the one and now favor the other. This
> could be done with different resources, of course, or it could be done with
> a separate property, defaulting to ‘auto’. If the latter was chosen, the
> at-rule could get descriptors:

This is an interesting question. Perhaps we could allow replacing
the "use system resources" keyword with 'syllabic' or 'morphemic'
to express a preference. (I assume a particular hyphenation dictionary
specified via url() would be only one or the other, and not require
an argument.)

@hyphenate-resource {
   de: morphemic, url(de-morphemic.dic); /* use local morphemic dictionary if it exists, else use mine */
}

~fantasai