Re: Using CSS Transitions/Animations with SVG attributes

On 18 Mar 2011, at 16:13, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> The biggest problem with SMIL is that it's not CSS.  ^_^  It's a
> different animation model that's only applicable to SVG (plus maybe
> other languages that aren't really part of the web).  It won't ever be
> applicable to HTML.

http://wam.inrialpes.fr/timesheets/

;)

> While we won't ever get rid of SMIL, given the weight of SVG 1.1
> content on the web, we can at least make it unimportant for new
> authors to learn.

FYI: SMIL is also used in EPUB Media Overlays, which admittedly isn't
part of the web per-say, but it is an international open-standard that
relies heavily on web technologies (XHTML5, CSS3, PLS, SSML, etc.).
There are a few web-based EPUB reading systems, and desktop/mobile
ebook reading apps often rely on a web browser component ... so SMIL
is never too far from the web, really ;)

http://epub-revision.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/build/spec/epub30-mediaoverlays.html

Cheers, Dan