Re: [CSS21] Issue 192 - floats and shortened line boxes

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
> On 17/03/2011 1:08 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> [snip]
>> David and I both used the logic of Rules 6 and 8 in 9.5.1 to conclude
>> that the content before the float is indeed always reflowed into the
>> same line on the other side of the float; it's never broken into
>> multiple line boxes.
>
> Anton, you have a mental model, David has a mental model, I have a mental
> model. If I see this.
>
> x x x x x x
> | Float | a
> | Float | b
> | Float |
> car
>
> The line boxes that have 'a' and 'b' are what I believe are multiple line
> boxes.

If the "a b" is supposed to be content that preceded the float in
source order, then the situation you present can never arise.  All
browsers agree that the rendering would instead be:

x x x x x x
a b car
| Float |
| Float |
| Float |

(That is, the float is pushed down to the next line instead, and
following content may be reflowed into the space left on the line that
the float vacated.)