RE: [CSS21] Issue 195 - relative positioning of inlines containing blocks - comments on Working Draft

On Friday, January 07, 2011 1:10 PM Anton Prowse wrote:

> As a result of the resolution of Issue 195,[1] 9.2.1.1 (Anonymous block
> boxes) now says:
>
>    # When an inline box contains an in-flow block-level box, the inline
>    # box (and its inline ancestors within the same line box) are broken
>    # around the block-level box, dividing the inline box into two pieces
>    # even if either side is empty. [...]. When such an inline box is
>    # affected by relative positioning, the relative positioning also
>    # affects the block-level box contained in the inline box.
>
> What does "affects" mean here?  That the block-level box behaves as if it
> itself has position:relative?  Or merely that its location on the canvas is
> translated along with that of the inline?
>
> The difference is important because in the former case the z-index stacking
> could be affected.  I suggest we use a clearer wording here.
>

> [1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-195

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG has addressed your concerns in the upcoming publication of the CSS 2.1 specification[1].

The CSSWG resolved to the following:

| When such an inline box is affected by relative positioning, any resulting
|  translation also affects the block-level box contained in the inline box.

We hope this closes your issue.

Please respond before 18 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS