Re: [css3-speech] cues, volume control

Heads-up: I received no objection against the proposal quoted below,
and no feedback regarding the issue either [1]. I will update the
editor's draft of CSS3-Speech soon, based on what I think is the best
direction. Obviously, reviews / comments are still very much welcome.
Regards, Daniel

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/Overview.html#issue-voice-cues-volume

On 5 Feb 2011, at 12:37, Daniel Weck wrote:

> Dear all,
> I don't understand the rationale for this particular statement, in
> [1]:
>
> "
> Note that ‘voice-volume’ does not apply to audio cues for which
> there is a separate means to set loudness (absolute, or relative to
> ‘voice-volume’).
> "
>
> I totally agree with audio cues [2] adjusting their output levels
> relatively to the 'voice-volume', but why should they be able to set
> absolute volume values ?
>
> For example, a text with "voice-volume:silent" should have its cues
> muted as well, yet audio cues can override this. By analogy to the
> visual 'visibility' property (and by virtue of the "aural box
> model" [3]), the borders of an invisible element are now shown: the
> entire element (content, padding, border and margin) remains
> involved in the layout, but is "transparent" (which is equivalent to
> "silent" in the aural dimension).
>
> If nobody objects, I would like to restrict volume control for audio
> cues in relative terms only (percentage applicable to the voice-
> volume value).
>
> Sorry if I am missing a point here.
> Many thanks, Daniel
>
> [1]