Re: root list item Re: [CSS21] 12.5 Lists

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> This seems irrelevant, unless it was fixed in FF4 (I'm using 3.6 on my
>> Windows box still).
>
> Uh, yeah.  Don't do that.  What's with all these people testing old UA
> versions all the time?  ;)

Hey, I just follow the auto-update cycle in my browsers.  It's not my
fault you guys haven't shipped a feature-release via auto-update in
months.  ^_^

Anyway, I've updated to FF4rc, and confirmed that Firefox now matches
Opera in this behavior, in that outside list markers follow the text
into the visible area and are thus visible when overflow is
non-visible.

>> It also pays at least some attention to text-indent; if you combine
>> text-indent and text-align:right, the outside list marker moves away
>> from the text an amount equal to the text-indent. (Again, this is FF
>> 3.6.)
>
> More precisely, the text moves by the text-indent while the marker is not
> affected by the text-indent.  And this happens because text-indent does not
> shift the position of the left edge of the bounding box for the line when
> direction is ltr in Gecko (instead it increases the width of the bounding
> box, if the text is not long enough to wrap).

Right; I was imprecise in my wording, but I was pretty sure it was
just making the text's bounding box larger, and the marker was
following that.  Anyway, as you say, this is unimportant detail.

So we now have two substantially different behaviors for outside list
markers.  I've captured the two behaviors in separate values in Lists,
but that won't help the compat pain when some of the browsers have to
switch their behavior over...

~TJ