Re: root list item Re: [CSS21] 12.5 Lists

On Friday 04 March 2011 01:54:28 fantasai wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 08:14 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> >>
> >> The latter.  This seems to be what
> >> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/visuren.html#display-p
> >> rop (and earlier drafts) called for.

(Not in earlier drafts, as far as I can see.)

> >> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/visuren.html#display-p
> >> rop is the first draft with the current verbiage, which treats the
> >> root the same way positioned and floated boxes are treated....
> >>
> >> I'll get a bug filed on this.
> >
> > OOC, why was this changed?  Not being familiar with the weird and
> > wonderful ways in which authors use CSS, I'd have thought it not a
> > particularly important use case in CSS2.1, and I wouldn't mind if
> > the spec marked it as undefined whether root list-item becomes
> > block or stays list-item.

This was apparently decided some time between September 15, 2003 (the
date the WD with this rule was published) and October 31 of the same
year, because on that latter date the WG's issues list said:

  Issue 107. Allow display:list-item on root element because four
  browsers (Opera, Mozilla, Safari, MacIE) already do.
  Resolution: Change "9.2.4 The 'display' property":
  # For the root element, the computed value is as follows:
  # 'inline-table' and 'table' become 'table', 'none' stays 'none',
  # everything else becomes 'block'.
  ...to:
  | For the root element, the computed value is changed as described in
  | the section on the <a>relationships between 'display', 'position',
  | and 'float'</a>.
  Document updated.
  Issue closed.

Either our info was wrong or Mozilla has since changed...

> > One reason that root list-item displeases me is that it means that
> > the box tree isn't actually a tree at all, but a forest.  Not a
> > huge deal, but it nevertheless seems like more cost than the uses
> > I can see for root list-items (beyond what can be achieved with
> > :before and/or a non-root list-item).
>
> Filed as Issue 231
>    http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-231

Bert