From: Brad Kemper
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:00 AM
To: Andrew Fedoniouk
Cc: www-style list
Subject: Re: roadmap for new CSS specs: template, grid, regions and floats

On Mar 11, 2011, at 11:23 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

  As of #2 – non-rectangular shapes.

  I think we should have more generic mechanism of defining such things.
  E.g. I have multiple requests to provide mechanism in CSS that will allow to
  define shapes like tabs here:
  http://harmonia.terrainformatica.com/lib/exe/detail.php?id=start&media=harmonia.png

  Ideally it should be common mechanism that will allow to define border and
  content outline shapes in the same CSS-ish way.

That looks like something that is well suited to border-images or multiple backgrounds. They don't affect the click region, but that can be an advantage for tabs, so that you don't punish the user for a near miss.