RE: [CSS21] Issues with inline formatting model (particularly 10.8)

Anton Prowse wrote:
> > I have identified some issues with the specification of the inline
> > formatting model in CSS21.  Most are editorial, but a couple are more
> > serious.
>
> A couple more!
>

> 9.4.2 Inline formatting context
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#inline-formatting) :
>
>    # Line boxes that contain no text, no preserved white space, no
>    # inline elements with non-zero margins, padding, or borders, and no
>    # other in-flow content (such as images, inline blocks or inline
>    # tables), and do not end with a line feed must be treated as
>    # zero-height line boxes. For the purposes of margin collapsing, this
>    # line box must be ignored.
>

> Issue 20a:  If a line box contains no preserved white space then it can't end
> with a line feed.  So that clause in the first sentence is superfluous.

Thank you for your feedback. The CSSWG has addressed your concerns in the upcoming publication of the CSS 2.1 specification[1].

The CSSWG resolved to make the change from "forced line break" to "line feed".

We hope this closes your issue.

Please respond before 14 March, 2011 if you do not accept the current resolution.

[1] http://w3.org/TR/CSS