RE: [css3-background] Default shadow color

I’m not ‘picking’ on anyone. I am pointing out that the behavior of this somewhat popular feature that is causing such surprise and argument is actually interoperably implemented in three browsers and has been for some time, as far as I can tell. Which I consider completely relevant to judging the severity and importance of the alleged problem and thus the proposed solutions. Because I try to fix issues according to their impact. Is that unreasonable ?

From: Xaxio Brandish [mailto:xaxiobrandish@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 11:53 PM
To: Sylvain Galineau
Cc: Brad Kemper; Brian Manthos; fantasai; Estelle Weyl; www-style@w3.org CSS
Subject: Re: [css3-background] Default shadow color

Good evening,

Let's not pick on somebody for using the term "surprising".  Fantasai also used the term "surprised" earlier, and I do agree that's an accurate choice of wording.

In everyday life, if one sees letters made of black construction paper suspended above a page, with a light source casting a shadow on that page, the color of the letter shadows does not change if the color of the construction paper changes.  If the color of the shadows did change, I'd say it would be surprising.

However, the digital display isn't and cannot always be modeled after such print media.  Making the color a required component seems to make sense because only the author knows how their shadows should be displayed.

*Unfortunately*, not all authors have a sense of where to start with shadows, and forcing them to specify a color/opacity for shadows would lead to quite a bit of trial-and-error before they figured out what seems correct to them.  Having the UA default this seems like a reasonable way to avoid hassle.  What makes sense for a default for on-screen rendering DEFINITELY may not make sense for projection media.  The UA can provide a valuable starting point (default) for authors.  Devices with limited color profiles may not be able to render author-specified preferences in much accuracy, which provides another case for defaulting the color to the UA.

Unless the media for this property becomes more specific than "visual", I would vote for the UA to be able to provide a value for this color (and opacity!) if one is not explicitly specified.

However, specifying currentColor does not seem like an interoperable default except among browsers, which is very limiting to other types of visual media.

Although the group is trying to determine the specification [ by specifying things, nonetheless! ;) ], there are sometimes parts of the specification that need to be open enough to interpretation that they become *useful* parts of the specification.

--Xaxio