Re: [css3-speech] :media-overlay-active

On 29 Jun 2011, at 16:51, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> So the solution is driven by where it would have to be implemented
> and who
> is able/unable to do that ?

There was also the option of deferring this specific feature of EPUB3
Media Overlays, but the working group reached a consensus on a
solution that works well for content creators as well as for reading
system implementors (reminder: the publication deadline for the final
EPUB3 specification is approaching fast).

In my opinion, a W3C-standardized CSS pseudo-class is a better long-
term solution. I would like to see a cross-group discussion about
synchronized multimedia in HTML (from the top of my head: SMIL
Timesheets / aka "HTML Timing", HTML Speech, CSS3 Speech, HTML5/
WebVTT, WAI, etc.) Such collaboration would prevent fragmented
solutions that are specific to particular application domains.

There is common ground between speech synthesis, pre-recorded human
narration, sign-language, transcripts, subtitles, etc., but the
functional requirements and potential overlap with existing solutions
(e.g. HTML5 ::cue) need to be better articulated and documented. This
is obviously beyond the scope of the CSS3 Speech Module.

Regards, Daniel