Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

On 29 Jun 2011, at 17:11, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> The thread started on www-style and that is where I sent my message to,
> as I was discussing "css3-fonts" only. Again, this is not a complicated
> issue, just imagine a non-browser implementation of css3-fonts that has
> no inherent reason to emulate this browser behavior.

Could you describe a few examples of the kind of "non-browser implementation of css3-fonts" you're imagining?

When I try to imagine such implementations, I find myself imagining either local resources on a device of some kind (in which case a same-origin restriction does not seem like a problem, as everything is served from the "same origin" anyway), or else resources that are delivered in some way quite separate from the Web as we know it - in which case @font-face, with its "src: url(....)" descriptor, might not be very good fit anyway. I suppose the "non-browser implementation" might define its own private URL schemes for use within this descriptor - but then it could also arbitrarily define the meaning of "origin" for those schemes, and thus avoid the issue.

Describing specific use cases that would be impeded by the proposed requirement might help us understand your concern better.

JK