RE: [css3-lists] Published as WD!

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote on Monday, June 20, 2011 2:11 PM
> To: Håkon Wium Lie
> Cc: www-style list
> Subject: Re: [css3-lists] Published as WD!
>
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> >
> > Based on comments from Brad and Charles Belov, I can see that some
> > list types are common enough to warrant addition in the new
> specification.

I'll take that to mean upper-alpha-symbolic and lower-alpha-symbolic are no longer targeted as specific new predefinitions for removal.

> >  > > Section 9.3 lists Predefined Alphabetic Styles
> > I specifically suggest make all the predefined styles non-predefined
> > in the next version the WD.
>
> I think the current predefined styles are useful, and would prefer keeping
> them the way they are.  If you feel strongly about this, I suggest
> bringing it up as an issue for the WG to decide on at a future telcon.

As a webmaster, I appreciate a certain number of predefined styles. I
also suspect that if there were *no* predefined styles we would wind
up with a lot of inconsistencies between websites.

> > I suggest the critera to be that a counter style is actively used in
> > print and in web documents, so common that people hardcode them into
> > HTML to achieve the effects. Listing 10 different pages in the wild
> > would be a requirement for starting discussions.
>
> One problem with doing that is that I don't read anything other than
> English, and thus don't have any way to do the research for this.

The other problem is that the process is so painful that I only
attempted it once or twice to mark up individual list items with the
appropriate starting number for BB...ZZ, AAA, BBB, etc.

Subsequently, I wound up copying from Microsoft Word to Windows Notepad
and then from Notepad to Adobe Contribute in order to not have to ever
go through that painful exercise again.  Of course then the items lost
their semantic ordered list identity.

I rather imagine others would similarly admit defeat as well, making it
hard to find examples in the wild.

Making the search even harder, I note that searching in Google for "CCC"
on the SFMTA website www.sfmta.com turns up
http://www.sfmta.com/cms/cmta/SFMTABoardOct.192010agenda.htm agenda item
10.2, which abandons the attempt at an ordered list, but does not turn up
http://www.sfmta.com/cms/cmta/SFMTABoardJan.52010agenda.htm agenda item
10.2, which is your desired in-the-wild example.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster