Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

A simple use case:

   1. a font server in the cloud wishes to provide fonts for reference by
   arbitrary authors without restrictions on access;
   2. a web page author creates a page that references that font and places
   the page on a server in a different domain;
   3. the web page author expects that a UA will download the font and use
   it;
   4. the web page author does not expect to have to configure its server to
   include the entity headers to relax same-origin restrictions;

That's the way the Web works today, not only for fonts, but for all
resources.

The onus of a new mechanism should be for authors that want to use it to pay
the price of using it, namely, the ones that want restrictions have the
obligation to declare their restrictions. However, the way that you have
argued is that the burden is on those who do not use the mechanism to relax
the restrictions.

This approach is fundamentally adverse to the principle of "pay only for
what you use". You are asking those who do not use the mechanism to pay the
price, and those that use it to pay nothing.

I'm sorry, but Samsung cannot agree with this approach, and will retain the
formal objection unless the polarity is inverted.

G.