Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

On Jun 8, 2011, at 5:36 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> "I cannot in good conscience support such a change unless linear-gradient
> and/or it's prefixed versions are renamed (e.g. -moz2-linear-gradient or -
> moz-straight-gradient)".
>
> You've just answered your own concern: this is a vendor decision. As are
> all decisions pertaining to prefixed *proprietary* property. As a side
> note, I will remind you that prefixed properties are invalid per CSS; as
> such it would imo be awkward for the WG to accept/reject a change based on
> proprietary decisions related to invalid CSS.

Fine. If we make the changes to the meaning of the keywords AND the angle, so that the only way to reliably create the desired gradient is with IE6+ "filter" property, then I would like us to also change the name of the CSS image generator to something like 'straight-gradient()' to reflect how different it is from previous 'linear-gradient'. Then IE can create whatever prefixed image generator it wants, even calling it '-ms-foo()' if it wants, as is its prerogative.