Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

On Jun 8, 2011, at 4:07 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:

> From: Brad Kemper [mailto:brad.kemper@gmail.com]
>> But anyone
>> using the keyword 'left' knows that it means 'from left to right', or they find
>> out within seconds and then move on.
>
> I disagree completely on this point.  I constantly find this backwards notation a stumbling block.   The reason I raised the issue is because I don't want to just "move on".  The spec is broken and inconsistent, and I thought the goal of having drafts at all was to address such things so that the future can be better.
>
> Using that argument we might as well call it "foo" because "people will just learn that foo means that it progresses from left to right".

Not so. Currently 'left' has a clearly defined meaning of "start the gradient on the left". There is a logic to it that is not difficult to learn. It is not a totally arbitrary name.

> Honestly, I think that would be better than using "left" to mean the exact opposite of "leftwards".

I'd be OK with "left" meaning "to the left" instead of "from the left", except that means EVERYTHING already authored would produce incorrect results in new browsers, and EVERYTHING authored to the new revision will produce incorrect results in current versions of browsers that support linear-gradient. I don't recall any similar type of situation in CSS with a property or value that had already seen enthusiastic author response. So I cannot in good conscience support such a change unless linear-gradient and/or it's prefixed versions are renamed (e.g. -moz2-linear-gradient or -moz-straight-gradient). I'd want that even if I loose the battle to keep the more intuitive version of degree direction.