Re: Inline elements should be affected by 2D Transforms

On Jun 3, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On 6/3/11 1:49 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> Ah. I would expect "TXET" to stay put, and "some" and "WERBEH" to rotate as a unit, with the "s" at the top and the "H" at the bottom.
>
> Hmm...  OK.
>
>> If the span had, say, a green background, you'd see that "some" and "WERBEH" were two separate boxes, right?
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> Yet, being a single element, they rotate as a unit, just as changing the color once affects both of the two boxes.
>
> Ok.
>
>> There's probably some more complications if there is a line break in there somewhere, too, right? Throw another one at me and I'll tell you what my intuition says.
>
> Well, one obvious complication is that changing the color changes it for all the boxes for the span, across all lines, but you sound like you would apply the transform on each line separately....

Yes. If I change the bg color, I can see that there is another box on the next line that is not physically connected to the first. So it is not unreasonable to treat it separately  The reason I would do so, with per-line transformations within a single element, is so that transform-origin gives reasonable results for :hover-ed text.

> As for the interaction of bidi and linebreaks, my bidi fu is not strong enough to poke the edge cases.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat (with my Fu poking).

> Would be nice if someone who understands that stuff could step in.

Agreed.

> Note that the line case, unlike the bidi one, can happen with blocks too (columns), so we sort of need an answer to it no matter what.

Right. And there it would be even more evident that you'd want two different origins for the transform, if you are using it to call attention to text that is being hovered. You don't want the text to jump away from the cursor, you just want it to get bigger (or whatever) underneath the cursor.