Re: [css3-flexbox] getting multiline flexbox back into the spec

We should ask people who use ttb writings what kind of meaning they
assign to 'row' and 'column' terms. I suspect that 'row' is still something
that is horizontally oriented. As 'column' is something vertical no matter
what.

I still don't think that logical values for directionality like this
will give users any benefits. Vertical and horizontal writing systems
are not symmetrical. In general you cannot just say writing-mode: ttb
and hope that everything will be magically in place using all nuances
of traditional TTB layouts - you will need to tweak many other things.

I believe that need to define explicitly your intention like:

#container:dir(ltr,rtl)
  { flex-flow: horizontal; }
and
#container:dir(ttb)
  { flex-flow: vertical; }

is really nothing if to compare with the set of other things you will
need to do to show the same DOM in ttb fashion.

>±
>±   flex-flow: stack;
>±
>± Children replaced one on top another. Intrinsic dimensions of
>± flex-flow: stack; container are equal to tallest/widest child dimensions.
>± This kind of layout is used by tabs container and is not achievable in
>CSS
>± at all at the moment.
>
>'stack' is a very useful layout type, certainly needs to be supported. It
>is currently implemented by Grid layout:

>Will do exactly what you want for stack:
>- initial values for grid-column and grid-row are 0
>- initial values for grid-column-span and grid-row-span are 1
>- grid will size to biggest child in both dimensions, then stretch children
>to be same size.
>
>It may not be intuitive to use grid to create stack. Perhaps it would be
>reasonable to support same behavior on flexbox. I’ll add it to issues.

Seems like I do not understand the purpose of grid layouts if you
allow elements there to occupy the same "cell". Such setup
is against existing HTML/CSS practices. Table where multiple
cells positioned in the same spot looks at least non-intuitive.

>±   flex-flow: flow(1 2,
>±                   1 3);
>±
>± The flow function is an explicit defintion of how container replaces its
>± children.
>± The flow(row1, row2, ..., rowN ) "function" contains comma separated list
>± of row defintions. Each row contains white space separated list of
>± integers - indexes of elements that will be replaced in the cell.
>Elements
>± can span multiple cells.
>
>Interesting. I think functionality involving "cells" and "span" belongs to
>grid.

Consider something simple as:
<ul>
  <li>A</li>
  <li>B</li>
  <li>C</li>
</ul>

Then
  flex-flow: horizontal;
  flex-flow: vertical;
is an equivalent of:
  flex-flow: flow(1 2 3);
  flex-flow: flow(1,2,3);

But this:
  flex-flow: flow(1 3 2);
and this
  flex-flow: flow(1,3,2);

Is not very far conceptually from the above - it is the
same horizontal/verical layout but with different order
of elements. My practice shows that such simple mechanism is
quite useful and popular.

If I understand purpose of the Grid module correctly it is close
to position:absolute or floats. flex-flow: flow() is purely
position:static layout that uses exactly same principles as
flex-flow: horizontal/vertical.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com