Re: [Selectors4] case-insensitive attribute value matching (in XML)

On Monday 2011-07-25 10:03 -0700, fantasai wrote:
> On 07/24/2011 03:05 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >For user agent style sheets HTML now has a number of "/* case-insensitive */" annotations in its rendering section indicating
> >the attribute value needs to be matched ASCII case-insensitively (so no Turkish dotloss i business). This is because these
> >attribute values need to be matched ASCII case-insensitively in HTML and XML.
> >
> >Authors might want that ability too in case they write CSS against "unknown" markup.
> >
> >Unfortunately I have no good idea for syntax. Only crappy ideas:
> >
> >[att=/val/i]
> >
> >[att=val flag]
> >
> >[att=ascii-case-insensitive(val)]
>
> Added
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4/#attribute-case

I think putting the "i" outside of the [] is confusing -- it doesn't
*look* associated with the attribute selector.

I'd much rather see [att=val i] / [att="val" i] or
[att=val,i] / [att="val",i] or some other syntax that puts the
case-insensitive indicator *inside* the brackets.

-David

𝄢   Mozilla Corporation               http://www.mozilla.com/   𝄂