Re: [Selectors4] Reference combinators

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> I am not sure it is a good idea to define this in such a general way with
> some magic depending on the first character. Might it be a better idea to
> let the markup language define how two elements are related and have the
> reference combinator simply be "/"?
>
> E.g.
>
>  label / input { ... }

What if an element has multiple types of references?  I don't think
anything in HTML has this; does any other language that reasonably
uses CSS?

I agree, though, that the host language should define what it means to
be referenced; for example, the "label enclosing an input" can still
establish a "reference" between the two elements, despite the
reference only existing within the DOM, not in an explicit markup
attribute.

~TJ