Re: [css3-images] Using SVG Paint Servers as <image>

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> Actually there is a problem, which is that external resource document loads
> and image loads are different beasts right now and are implemented somewhat
> differently in Gecko, and it would be a lot of work to determine if they can
> be made perfectly consistent. One issue is that we impose a same-origin
> restriction on SVG external resource loads, but not CSS image loads
> obviously.

They're different in WebKit, too, I believe.

> Maybe we can get away with saying that url() with a fragment reference is an
> external resource document load, and url() without a fragment reference is
> an image load.

That would break existing intended uses of svg-with-frag in url(),
such as referring to a <view> element to display a subset of a larger
image, or using Media Fragments syntax.

Hm.  There should be some simple distinction to make in here.  >_<

~TJ