Re: [css3-ui] editor's draft updated

On Jul 7, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> I've updated the CSS3-UI editor's draft accordingly:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/

In 8.4, where it says, "Outlines may be non-rectangular", can we also say, "and must follow the curved shapes of any non-zero border-radius of the element, so that if 'outline-offset' is zero the inside of the outline will fit snugly to the outside of the border for the entire length of the path"? Or something like that? It is rather annoying to have sharp-corner outlines around a box with rounded corners.

The 'outline-offset' text in 8.5 seems to imply this, as it says "the outline is drawn starting just outside the border edge" (not the 'border box' which is typically thought of as a rectangle with sharp corners).

I also wonder if 'outline-offset' could benefit from using some of the language we created for box-shadow spreads[1] (substitute 'outline-offset' for 'spread distance, 'outline' for 'shadow', etc. in the text below):

[The fourth length is a spread distance.] Positive values cause the shadow shape to expand in all directions by the specified radius. Negative values cause the shadow shape to contract. See below.

If a spread distance is defined, [take] an outward outset of the specified amount normal to the original shadow perimeter. Alternatively the UA may approximate the transformed shadow perimeter shape by outsetting... the shadow's straight edges by the spread distance and increasing... and flooring at zero the corner radii by the same amount. ...For corners with a zero border-radius, however, the corner must remain sharp—the operation is equivalent to scaling the shadow shape.

1) http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-box-shadow