Re: [css3-speech] voice-balance and azimuth

On 07/13/2011 09:08 AM, Daniel Weck wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback.
> I have (majorly) re-formulated the prose to better express the relationship between the physical setup (user sound system) and the authored intent. I also added a section explaining the mapping to azimuth angles.
> Please kindly review (as soon as you can):
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#mixing-props-voice-balance

Much better! Here are my comments

   - Move the notes to the end of the section so they don't break
     the flow of normative definition for the sound stage.

   - The mapping to <angle> is incompatible with the definition
     for stereo output, specifically:

       # When user-agents produce audio through a stereo sound
       # system (e.g. two speakers, a pair of headphones), the
       # left-right distribution of audio signals can precisely
       # match the authored values for the ‘voice-balance’ property.

     vs.

       # The value ‘-100’ maps to -40 degrees (‘left’). Negative
       # angles are in the counter-clockwise direction (the audio
       # stage is seen from the top).
       # The value ‘100’ maps to 40 degrees (‘right’). Positive
       # angles are in the clockwise direction (the audio stage
       # is seen from the top).

     For a pair of headphones, if you use the first definition,
     'left' puts all the sound into the left earpiece. But if you
     use the second definition, it will put some of the sound into
     the right earpiece as well, because 40deg is not the left side,
     but partway between the left side and the front center.

~fantasai