Re: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Stuart Gill <stuartg@google.com> wrote:

> 1) Allow overlap of SVG and TT glyph ids
> This option would enable font creators to have both an SVG glyph and a TT
> outline glyph with the same id. So, software that doesn't understand the SVG
> extension would be able to use the font and only see the TT glyphs. Software
> that understands the SVG extension would look at the SVG glyphs first (or
> based on user settings) and use those glyphs if they exist and if not fall
> back through to the TT glyphs. The interaction between the glyphs could be
> controlled as is now with all of the existing OT features but there would be
> no way to allow features to select between TT and SVG glyphs.

Yes there would. You allow the SVG and TT glyphs IDs to overlap, but don't
require it, so text shaping can choose a glyph that has only a TT version
(or only an SVG version) if you want to. This is simple and flexible. I
can't see a reason to do it any other way.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our