Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

On 6/30/11 7:01 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
> if this argument applies, then the same logic driving SOR on font
> fetches should be used on every type of fetch, including images

That would be ideal, yes.  We'd like to move there, for sure.

In the face of the large deployed base of cross-origin-referenced
images, though, that's not feasible, yet.

But that "large installed base" argument does not apply to new types of
loads, which is why new types of loads are tending to be defined with
cross-origin restrictions and CORS in mind.  This is not specific to fonts.

> however, I have asked what is special about fonts that requires SOR that
> does not apply to text/plain, image/png, application/xml, etc.

Nothing.  What's special about fonts that _allows_ the restriction is
lack of significant existing deployment depending on the unrestricted
behavior.  And it's not even that special to fonts.

-Boris