Re: [css3-images] Reintroduce object-fit: none

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 04:59:38 +0100, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

>> Another option is to simply disallow the overflow effect at all - that
>> is, *always* hide overflow on replaced elements, and ignore the
>> 'overflow' property.  That would solve your concern while still
>> allowing whatever use-cases 'cover' allows.  (I'm not sure why 'cover'
>> is useful, personally.)

I'm fine with making overflow hidden always.

> I agree with David; the content of replaced elements should never
> overflow
> their box, nor should the UA ever show scrollbars because of object-fit.

FWIW, Opera never shows scrollbars for replaced elements because of
object-fit: it either overflows like overflow:visible with no way to
scroll the element, or is overflow:hidden with no way to scroll the
element. (You could get scrollbars on the whole page or an ancestor
scrollable element, though.)

> I still think 'cover' is useful, and that it's fine to always treat
> overflow
> as hidden.

I agree 'cover' is useful. You may want to use 'cover' for avatars like
e.g. Facebook does.

I also think both 'none' and 'scale-down' are nice-to-have even if an
alternative to the vertical centering use case is implemented. The demo at
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/css3-object-fit-object-position/object-fit-none-transitions.html
doesn't use 'none' for vertical centering but for a nice transition
effect. (At the time of writing there's something wrong with the article
and its subresources; I've notified the relevant people about that. If
it's still broken when you read this, use
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sXgWTABK28UJ:dev.opera.com/articles/view/css3-object-fit-object-position/object-fit-none-transitions.html+http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/css3-object-fit-object-position/object-fit-none-transitions.html&cd=1&hl=sv&ct=clnk&gl=se&lr=lang_en%7Clang_sv&client=opera
)

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software