Re: <option> and text-align

Got it. So, I guess my last paragraph has to be modified to the following:

Now, if you say that text-align can and should control the alignment of an
option, what should the default text-align value be for option? Currently,
the default value is "start" for the root element, and inherited by all
others. However, Gecko's UA default stylesheet specifies "start" again for
<select>. Perhaps, though, that should be dropped, and the HTML5 default
stylesheet should specify text-align:match-parent for <option>? If it were
match-parent, the default behavior would be for all options to line up to
the select direction's start edge even when different options have different
direction - but it could be controlled by setting it to a different value.

But the bigger question is whether the CSS spec can and should state that
text-align affects <option> - since currently Firefox is alone in that
regard.