RE: [css3-selectors] Please add example of stacking sequence within a not-so-simple selector

Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com] wrote on Friday, January
14, 2011 6:02 PM
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Belov, Charles
> <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> > selectors, but has only one example of a not-so-simple
> selector, that
> > of two classes:
> >
> > p.pastoral.marine { color: green }
> >
> > It would be good if there was an example of a complex selector, so
> > that I would know the proper sequence or validity, if any,
> of something like:
> >
> > a.pastoral.marine[id][title]:hover:first-letter
> >
> > I'm actually looking for the proper sequencing of
> > a.pastoral[style*=font-weight:bold], and I see upon testing that it
> > works in Firefox 3.6, but it would be good to explicitly show
> > something complex like that as an example.
>
> The only explicit sequencing required is that tag name
> selectors must go first, and pseudo-element selectors must go
> last.  Other than that, there is no ordering required or
> implied, so feel free to go crazy.

Thank you for your assistance.

I believe http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html would be improved by
including such an example, if only to make it clear to UA programmers
that they must support it.  This would also imply that a test of one or
more such complex specifications must be part of the appropriate
confirmatory test pages.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster