Re: Expected behavior of background-clip property on the html element?

On Jan 6, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>> When I try this on the major browsers, all show the green background
>> well beyond the bottom border. Additionally, content-box behaves exactly
>> the same as either border-box (Chrome, FF, Safari) or padding-box
>> (Opera). Which is correct? I'm guessing neither, but it's not
>> immediately clear from the spec.
>
> I suspect the key part here is this, from http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.html#background :
>
>  The background of the root element becomes the background
>  of the canvas and covers the entire canvas, anchored (for
>  'background-position') at the same point as it would be if it was
>  painted only for the root element itself. The root element does
>  not paint this background again.
>
> So the background isn't being painted on the box for the <html> to start with, hence it would seem that the background-clip of the <html> box wouldn't apply, unless something somewhere explicitly says otherwise.

Hmm, when I try this with 'content-box', it seems to work with a recent WebKit nightly (with the -webkit- prefix).
http://dev.l-c-n.com/CSS3_border-background/background-clip_root-element.html

I sure can see your point about the background-color; but what about a background-image?

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/