Re: [css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector

Asmus Freytag wrote:

> If the user has fonts that can show the variation, I would tend
> to agree with Koji that it is a very unfriendly design if the
> user must always be aware of the presence of variation
> sequences in the text when deciding on the font selection. Such
> a design also performs poorly where authorship of the text and
> authorship of the style sheet are unrelated and / or are
> performed at different times.

CSS font matching does *not* require a system font fallback
procedure that searches all fonts for a given character.  Most
user agents support some form of default font mechanism which
allows a user to specify the font to use in the case of system
font fallback for a given language or character range. By
specifying fonts with full IVS support, users can achieve the
results you're looking for.  It's a good issue to bring to the
attention of various browser vendors but it's not a CSS issue per se.

Regards,

John Daggett