RE: Need to clarify the effects of bidi paragraph breaks

Hi.

From: aharon@google.com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:50:30 -0800
CC: www-style@w3.org; fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net; public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
Subject: Re: Need to clarify the effects of bidi paragraph breaks
To: public-i18n-bidi@w3.org

> I think that this thread needs the input of the Writing Modes editor. Fantasai, could you please
>  respond?
Hmm.

(Aharon, for my part in this discourse, I was just trying to clarify text in response to questions on the list, not to ambiguities in the text; and thus in none of my comments in this email did I correct any of the draft or seek to -- .)
Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM, CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:43:21 +1100
>>> From: alan@css-class.com
>> To: aharon@google.com
>> CC: www-style@w3.org; fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net; public-i18n-bidi@w3.org

>> Subject: Re: Need to clarify the effects of bidi paragraph breaks
>>

>> On 16/12/2010 4:01 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
>> > On 16/12/2010 9:11 AM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
>> [snip]

>> > Above I see "which the element." I have know idea what element is being
> > referred to here.

> Any element that contains the current and that thus effects its computed direction -- or > is this confusing?

>> > This paragraph also seems to suggest an added meaning
>> > of a containing block. What is a containing block element?

> See the definition below of a containing block -- but I am guessing you already have
> this.

>> Should this read *containing block-level element*? I was thinking that
>> it was referring to the CSS term, *containing block*.
>>

> Hmm yes but in this case it's definitely an element that's been defined as the
> containing block

> A containing block also can be a "viewport"; see:

> http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/containingblock
> "the value of the position property for that element.
> If the value of the position property is static (the default) or relative, the containing
> block is formed by the edge of the content box of the nearest ancestor element whose > display property value is one of:
> * block *inline-block *list-item *run-in (only in a block formatting context; see
> Formatting Concepts *table *table-cell
> If the value of the position property is absolute, the containing block is the nearest
> positioned ancestor—in other words, the nearest ancestor whose position property has > one of the values absolute, fixed, or relative. The containing block is formed by the
> padding edge of that ancestor.
> If the value of the position property is fixed, the containing block is the viewport (for > continuous media) or the page box (for paged media)."

> Hope this helps.

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com