Re: [css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector

Koji Ishii wrote:

> When source text contains Unicode Variation Selector[1][2][3], how does that affect font choice for the code point?

> Here's an example. With the following style:
>   font-family: A B;
> and let's say both fonts contains the glyph for U+8FBA, but only font B contains VS1 of U+8FBA.

> For the source text of U+8FBA VS1, should font A be used to render it, or B?

> I assume font B, as font A does not contain the glyph the author specified and ignores VS1, but I'd appreciate clarification since Variation Selector can behave differently from the regular code point for font fallback.

It's a tricky question, because variation selector characters are
default ignorable, so displaying with Font A would not be wrong from a
Unicode conformance perspective: "if the variation sequence is not
supported, the variation selector should be invisible and ignored."

I suspect the onus must be on authors to ensure that their font lists
are in an appropriate order to support the most desirable display of the
text.

JH