Re: [css3-flexbox] Flexbox needs to define where the baseline of a box is

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> I suspect you intend that rule 4.2 would remove that final space,
>> assuming there is a space before the inline flexbox.
>
> Actually, it would be independent of whether there is a space before the
> inline flexbox; I would think that an inline flexbox acts just like an
> inline-block in this sense.

Hmm, I don't see that.  Assuming code like <div
style="display:flexbox;">  </div> (two spaces), rule 1 doesn't apply
(no linefeeds), rule 2 doesn't apply (wrong white-space), rule 3
doesn't apply (no linefeeds), rule 4.1 doesn't apply (everything's a
space), and rule 4.2 removes the second space only.

In the second group of rules, rule 1 would remove the space, but that
doesn't happen until lines are laid out, which logically can't occur
until the box tree has been constructed.  So an anonymous block has
already been wrapped around the remaining space, and it's the block's
job to report its own baseline, not the flexbox's.  This is presumably
already defined.