Re: [css3-flexbox] Flexbox needs to define where the baseline of a box is

On 2/18/11 12:19 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> As a more general question, what information is necessary for a new
> layout mode to define in order for it to work nicely with the other
> layout modes?  I want to define the interface between layout modes, so
> it's easy for new ones to integrate.
>
> Right now I have the min/max/fit-content widths and heights, and the
> baseline.  Do you know of anything else?

Hmm.  So in Gecko, for block layout, we need to know the following
things about child boxes:

1) minimal intrinsic width
2) preferred intrinsic width
3) the width it actually wants to be given the block's width
4) baseline position given the width in #3
5) height given the width in #3
6) various information about how the edges of the box behave (breaks
    allowed at those edges or not, bidi reordering across those edges
    allowed or not, various text shaping across those edges allowed
    or not, probably some others.

That _might_ be it...  Flexbox wants to have height info and
max-width/height too.

Note that "fit-content" is not what's needed above; what's needed is
preferred intrinsic width.  And minimal intrinsic width is not the same
as minimal width (e.g. doesn't take the min-width property into account).

-Boris